SNAP Seeds and Seedlings Grow Home Gardens in the Shenandoah Valley

by Liz Kirchner, Virginia SARE Outreach Coordinator and Healthy Food Access Project, Virginia Cooperative Extension Service, Northern District

Home garden food production – even if that means a tomato in a bucket – is widely recognized to contribute to household nutrition and self-reliance. Garden produce strengthens ties between neighbors as those tomatoes are swapped, and maintains traditional foodways as gardening stories, seeds, and cooking skills are shared. However, not everybody realizes that SNAP benefits can be used to purchase seeds and seedlings, a caveat to the 1973 Farm Bill gauged to help people plant gardens. To raise awareness – and home gardens, too – Virginia Cooperative Extension’s Health Food Access program will host a series of seedling planting events with food pantry clients throughout the spring.

We will begin in May, after the frost-free date. The project goal is to send SNAP clients and other food pantry participants home with a planted seedling and a mapped list of nearby SNAP retailers who sell seedlings. Retailers identified using the ArcGIS, Google Maps, and the Buy Fresh Buy Local Guide include Walmart, some Food Lions, independent groceries, and the Staunton, Dayton, Waynesboro, and Harrisonburg Farmers’ Markets. (Continue reading)

15 thoughts on “SNAP Seeds and Seedlings Grow Home Gardens in the Shenandoah Valley

1. http://nakamenos.ph

I’m not sure where you’re getting your information, but great topic.
    I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more.
    Thanks for excellent info I was looking for this information for
    my mission.

Reply
  2. Tokyo Digital

I think this is among the most important information for me.
    And i’m glad reading your article. But wanna remark on some general things, The web site style is great, the articles is really nice : D.

Good job, cheers

Reply
  3. PHP Scripts

It¡¦s really a nice and helpful piece of info. I am glad that you shared this useful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

Reply
  4. park

Нello there! This is my first visit to youг blog!

We aгe a team of volunteers and starting a new
    initiative in a community in the same niche.
    Yoᥙr blog prߋvided us valuable information to w᧐rk оn. You have done
    a extraordinary job!

Reply
  5. zero

Greetings! Ⅴeгy useful adviϲe in this particular article!
    It is the little changes whicһ will make the
    greatest changes. Thanks for sһaring!

Reply
  6. Plants and Flower Logos

After study some of the websites with your web site now, we truly as if your technique for blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark site list and will be checking back soon. Pls look into my website also and told me what you consider.

Reply
  7. jobs script

Substantially, the article is in reality the freshest on that laudable topic. I agree with your conclusions and also will certainly eagerly look forward to your forthcoming updates. Saying thanks will certainly not simply be enough, for the fantastic clarity in your writing. I can at once grab your rss feed to stay privy of any updates. Genuine work and much success in your business endeavors!

Reply