Day 2 of Julie’s SNAP Challenge

This morning I ate oatmeal with some skim milk and peanut butter swirled in. I must say that I really love milk. When I was little, my mom made me drink it and I didn’t find it that amazing, but now that I am older, I can’t get enough of the stuff! Good thing too, because it is so good for you! Do you like to drink milk? I prefer 2% actually, but I bought skim this week because it was cheaper.

05

For lunch today I ate some leftover chicken noodle soup with some toasted whole wheat bread topped with peanut butter.

06

The nice thing about peanut butter is that it is packed with protein and healthy fats PLUS it tastes great! I had some for a snack today again. It would have been better with a banana, but the fruit got cut from the menu in order to stick with the budget.

07

Dinner tonight is milk with Southwestern Beans and Rice. Unfortunately, I was not able to afford all of the ingredients for this recipe; I had to leave out the green peppers because they were $1 each! The reason they are more expensive in January is because they are out of season, and are cheapest in summer where they are grown all over the place. If you buy a green pepper in winter, however, they have to be shipped from a warm place, and thus, the cost increases. Do you try to buy all your produce in season? (Here is a list of what’s in season in winter). What are your favorite vegetables and fruits to buy?

08

As you can see from the graph, I was about 300 calories under my daily goal. I was also low in dairy, vegetables, and fruits.

Slide2

My total food costs for today are about $3.37. Overall I felt that today was enough food, but not as much as I normally eat. However, I believe that the meals were varied enough.