Wild Mustard and Wild Radish

This fall I have noticed quite a few fields plagued by wild mustard/wild radish.  These species are difficult to control primarily due to size at burndown time.  Some of the fields I have passed are already knee high and I would suspect very difficult to control now, let alone next spring.  The 7 day weather outlook is showing a warming trend with temperatures peaking near 70 degrees on Saturday.  This would be a good time to get ahead of wild mustard/wild radish.  My first suggestion for cleaning up these field would be Roundup plus 2,4-D.  Although the risk of injuring neighboring plants is less this time of year, it is not absent.  If you do decide to treat with this combination, please pay attention to what susceptible plants may be around.  Below is an article that goes more in depth about management of wild mustard/wild radish I authored for the 2017 Mid-Atlantic Field Crop Weed Management Guide and Virginia Pest Management Guide.  Excerpts similar to this one covering additional weed species can be found in both of the aforementioned publications.  Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns.

problem-weed-mustard-and-radish