Dietetic Intern Jessica’s SNAP Challenge- Day 3

Day 3 of Jessica’s SNAP Challenge, where she gives a few unique dessert ideas. Who says you can’t have a healthy dessert on a budget?

Breakfast:

• Oatmeal
  • Soymilk (1/2 cup)
  • Yogurt
  • $.80

Lunch:

• Chicken chili
  • Boiled egg
  • Banana
  • $2.70

Dinner:

• Peanut butter sandwich
  • Apple
  • Mini pumpkin cake
  • $1.10
Mini Pumpkin Cake- recipe explained in this post.

Total cost for the day: $4.60

Nutrition profile: Today I was pretty spot-on for all food groups, except for veggies.

Reflections:

I was not really looking forward to eating the chicken chili for another meal, but I had enough left for a third meal and knew it would be a waste of money not to use it. For dinner, I was not very hungry and was feeling kind of lazy. We all have those days, don’t we? Even though I prepared things in advance to make cooking quicker and easier, I still did not feel like fixing anything much, so I reverted to the good ole faithful peanut butter sandwich. To complete the meal, I added in an apple and a mini pumpkin cake dessert.

Because of my love of dessert, I feel the need to talk a little more about healthy, cheap, and tasty dessert ideas. Like I said on Day 1, a great way to make a quick dessert is to mix some cake mix, canned pumpkin, and water together and make a mini- cake. Well, sadly even the best desserts could get old, so let me share some more ideas with you:

• Jell-O covered grapes- put a bunch of grapes in a bag or container with sugar free gelatin and shake them all up together. Freeze the grapes for a frozen, sweet treat.
  • Fruit and yogurt parfait- make your own parfait with available fruit and yogurt. Top with granola if available.
  • Chocolate avocado mousse- don’t let this vegetable fool you- avocado can be made into a decadent dessert. Mix one avocado with two tablespoons of cocoa power and some sweetener (sugar, Splenda, etc.).

1 thought on “Dietetic Intern Jessica’s SNAP Challenge- Day 3

1. Pingback: Dietetic Intern Jessica’s SNAP Challenge- Day 5 | Eat Smart, Move More