Dietetic Intern Courtney’s SNAP Challenge Day 1

Day 1: I’m stickin’ to it!

Today I was a rushed. As I mentioned earlier, I’m not used to preparing meals beforehand, but this is a good challenge for me. If you plan out what you will eat, it’s less likely that you will grab the junk/snack food. Even though these foods were available and in reach today, I didn’t feel like I needed them because I have a plan and I’m stickin’ to it. I’m not at all hungry yet, we will see what the day brings.

Breakfast: Two pieces of toast w/ margarine, two fried eggs with salt and pepper, 8 oz glass of skim milk, Instant coffee packet w/ splash of milk ($1.00)

Later

I’m thinking of food, but not necessarily hungry. This would be a time I would probably eat something because it’s available, but in order to ration my snacks, I’m going to hold off. Also, I’m just not feeling the carrots right now.

For lunch I made a Tuna Apple (+Carrot!) Salad Sandwich based off the following recipe ($1.25).

SNAP Challenge 012It may not look good, but it sure was tasty!

During the work day, my snacks included carrots and yogurt with a packet of honey. ($0.30)

Later

After a good workout, a banana & peanut butter really hit the spot ($0.39).

My dinner was a mere baked Russet potato with salt, pepper, and plain yogurt as a substitute for sour cream ($0.38). Boy, was it good!

That was all for today, folks. I’m not hungry, nor am I full – I’m content. Besides failing to meet those recommendations, though, I feel like I had a well-rounded day of meals and snacks and don’t think I would have done anything differently.

Estimated Daily Total: $3.32

SNAP Challenge Day 1 MyPlate Comparison