Dietetic Intern Courtney’s SNAP Challenge Day 7

Day 7: Creative with Leftovers

This morning I had a piece of plain toast and another piece of toast with a fried egg and spinach on top ($0.52).

SNAP Challenge 023

Lunch consisted of brown rice, ½ can of black beans, spinach, and some salt, pepper, and onion powder ($0.53). It was actually very filling.

SNAP Challenge 024
A couple scoops of peanut butter ($0.17) held me until dinner when I had leftover ground turkey with some roasted carrots and a cooked apple ($1.19).

SNAP Challenge 025

I had been looking forward to the cooked apple for a couple days now. It was the first serving of fruit that I ate since Friday. Obviously, there are gaps between my diet this week and the Myplate recommendations for the food groups.

Later

All in all, several leftover items remain included the following: 1 spinach serving, 8 ounces of milk, 1/3 jar of peanut butter, ½ bag of rice, 1 serving of cooked black beans and ground turkey, a hardboiled egg, ½ container of oatmeal, 2/3 container of margarine, and a full jar of mayo minus a few tablespoons.

Would I have eaten differently if I had known I would have this much food left over? Slightly. In retrospect, I would have liked to prepare more snacks “just in case” such as rice, oatmeal, or the egg for the long periods of times when I was away from home. All in all, I ate well for what I purchased without going too hungry.

Estimated Daily Total: $2.41
This day compared to MyPlate recommendations:
Screen Shot 2014-02-11 at 4.32.15 PM