Dietetic Intern Lauren’s SNAP Challenge Day 2

Recap of Day 2

Breakfast:

• Oatmeal (1/2 c)
  • 1% Milk (1 c)
  • Peanut Butter (1 Tbsp)
  • Banana (1/2)

For breakfast this morning, I had my other go-to breakfast: oatmeal with banana and peanut butter. This is a stick-to-your-ribs kind of breakfast that usually keeps me feeling full until lunch because it is high in heart-healthy fiber.

Lunch:

• Tuna Salad Sandwich
  • Carrots and Celery Sticks (1/2 c)
  • Clementine (1)

For lunch, I made a tuna salad sandwich on toasted wheat bread. I normally put spinach and tomato on my sandwiches, but in order to save some veggies for the rest of the week, I left those out. The result: a naked tuna salad sandwich. But it was still tasty! I had carrots and celery sticks and a clementine on the side.

Snack:

• ¾ c Cottage Cheese
  • Banana (1/2)

Dinner:

Man, do I love pizza! My boyfriend and I usually make veggie pizza so this recipe was right up our alley. I enjoyed two slices of pizza with a side of kale chips.

Making kale chips is one of my favorite ways to eat kale. They are really easy to make!

Directions:

1. Wash the kale really well and tear it into bite-size pieces. Make sure that the kale is completely dry.
  2. Spread the kale in an even layer on a baking sheet, spray with non-stick cooking spray, and sprinkle with salt.
  3. Bake at 400 degrees for 6-8 minutes. Keep your eye on these bad boys while they’re baking because they can burn if they bake 30 seconds too long.
  4. When they’re dark green and crispy, they’re ready to come out of the oven. Mmm, crunchy!

Dessert:

• 1% Milk (1c)
  • Clementine (1)

I normally have a piece (or two) of dark chocolate and a glass of milk as my daily treat, but I didn’t budget for any chocolate this week :-( Instead, I decided to satisfy my craving for something sweet with a clementine. I noticed that our gallon of milk is already half gone! We’re going to have to ration our milk for the rest of the week, too.

Today’s meals compared to MyPlate recommendations:

Screen Shot 2014-02-22 at 9.48.28 PM       8 oz.                              2 c                            2 ¼ c                              3 c                             3 oz.

I ate pretty well today, but I was a little under on veggies and protein.

Estimated cost of today’s meals: $3.70

We mentioned a few ways to cut back on added sugars in this post. What are some healthy ways that you satisfy your sweet tooth?