After hearing about #ESMMatFM all summer, you may be wondering, “What’s the big deal about farmers markets anyway?” More people are shopping for locally grown food at farmers markets than ever before. But there are still some who have not experienced the benefits of SNAP at Farmers Markets. Keep reading for a list of my favorite reasons to Eat Smart and Move More at Farmers Markets.
Markets are fun for the whole family.
- Take your kids and help them explore all the new and unusual foods to choose from. Here’s a great list of activities to get your kids excited to visit your local farmers market.
- Many farmers markets offer free live music, cooking demonstrations, and other community events, too. A trip to the market can be a fun family outing and you get tasty food! A definite Win-Win in my book.
- It’s easier to make new friends at the market than in a grocery store. When you visit a farmers market, the atmosphere is so different than shopping at a grocery store. You’ll talk to more people eventually start to recognize the regulars.
Shopping local supports the community.
- Shopping at farmers markets makes farmers more profitable and less likely to go out of business.
- When you shop at your local farmers market, you’ll begin to develop relationships with the farmers you see each week.
- Farmers are a great source of information on how to best use their products, so don’t hesitate to ask questions!
- Side note- Some farmers are actually SNAP recipients themselves. They know what it’s like to stick to a tight budget and can give great advice for saving money at the market.
High quality at an affordable price.
- Prices at farmers markets are not as expensive as most people think. In fact, several studies have found the prices are competitive with grocery stores.
- Many people notice a big difference in the quality of locally grown food compared to grocery stores.
- More farmers markets are offering SNAP matching programs that increase the purchasing power of SNAP benefits at the market. This helps make local foods more affordable.
These are just a few of the many reasons why you should Eat Smart and Move More at Farmers Markets. What’s your favorite thing about shopping at farmers markets?