Matthew’s SNAP Challenge Day 2

Today’s post is part of a series written by a dietetic intern working with us over the past month. As part of their internship experiences, I like to have them do a SNAP Challenge to better understand the experiences of people trying to eat smart on a tight budget. ~Austin

Waking up this morning was hard. I didn’t feel like I had much energy to get going. I wonder if some of that is due to eating less than usual because of the Challenge. My breakfast this morning was overnight oatmeal, a glass of milk, and 2 hardboiled eggs.  

Overnight Oatmeal

Overnight oatmeal

Milk and eggs breakfast

Milk and eggs

Getting closer to lunch today was not bad- the fiber from the overnight oatmeal and protein from the eggs have kept me feeling fuller. However, I am also aware that being busy at work also plays a role. Lunch was black beans, chicken and rice with olive oil and some red pepper flakes to add a little heat. Unfortunately, I had to rush through lunch and was not able to mindfully eat, again.

black beans chicken and rice  lunch

black beans chicken and rice, already half eaten

I was hungry leaving work again. When I got home, I ate a quick snack of celery with peanut butter and yogurt with berries.

celery and peanut butter afternoon snackYogurt and berries afternoon snack

Dinner tonight was rice and ratatouille, which was tasty, but not as filling as dinner last night with the beans and chicken. So tonight I had an apple with peanut butter and a glass of milk as a late night snack to fill me all the way up.

Ratatouille and rice  Dinner

Ratatouille with rice

Apples and peanut butter late snack

Milk

Again, I didn’t quite meet my calorie, grain and protein needs. Yet, I did better with the amount of grains and calories I ate today compared to yesterday. I ate less protein than yesterday, but that is probably because of my dinner not having any protein.  Even with the increase in grains, I still had a lot of vegetables. Having a lot of vegetables is a good thing, they just didn’t have a lot of calories.

calorie intake

Calories and food groups eaten today (from MyPlate.gov)

3 thoughts on “Matthew’s SNAP Challenge Day 2