I hope all this rain hasn’t messed up too many of your plans. This month we had presenters representing 2 great programs working to increase food security during COVID-19 with container gardening and mail gardening programs.
Kristin McCartney, West Virginia SNAP-Ed
Jennifer Palmer, Live Healthy Rockbridge and Rebecca Wilder, FCS SNAP-Ed Agent
Click here for recording of presentations
Save the date for June 23rd at 9 AM EST, when we will have James Wilson from Virginia Cooperative Extension come talk about bees in community gardens.
For our June Communtiy Conversation, we spoke with Heidi Hertz, the Assistant Secretary of Agriculture and Forestry for the Office of Governor Ralph S. Northam. She spoke to us about the Governor’s Children’s Cabinet, Virginia Blueprint to End Hunger, Urban Agricutlure, and FeedVA programs across the Commonwealth of VA.
Click here to access the full Powerpoint Presentation from the conversation
Click here to access the full video and audio (PPT included)
Governor’s Children’s Cabinet
- Governor Northam issued Executive Order No. 11 reestablishing the Children’s Cabinet June 21, 2018.
- Priorities are early childhood development and school readiness, nutrition and food security, systems of care and safety for school-aged youth.
- Children’s Cabinet will work to develop goals, identify strategies, and measure impact and outcomes.
Blueprint to End Hunger
Outline action steps and policy recommendations for achieving childhood food security.
- Shared vision for food access equity in Virginia, quantifiable goals, scope of the problem, and policy recommendations to bringing together solutions and strategies in healthcare, agriculture, and education.
- The report would align priorities and provide a roadmap for action, implementation, and evaluation over the next 3 years.
Urban Agriculture – Creating an Urban Agriculture Census
–Research urban agriculture nationwide and in Virginia
–Compile a directory of urban agriculture locations and organizations
–Review datasets pertaining to school and community gardening and overlap/gaps
–Conduct a scan of how other states support urban agriculture (legislation, funding, etc)
- Created by the Council on Bridging the Nutritional Divide
- Virginia Food Access Network (VFAN) launched May 2017
–Provide data clearinghouse
–Connect food system
–Share best practices/resources
Did you miss our most recent webinar discussion? We had an informative and extremely fun conversation with Laura Reilly from the Town of Salem and the Salem Fresh Ideas Garden.
Take a relisten at your convenience at the link below.
Learn more about the Salem Fresh Ideas Garden at their FACEBOOK PAGE.
Make sure to mark your calendar for our next webinar. They are held on the 4th Tuesday of each month at 9am.
Join us as we sprout the Virginia Community Garden Network!
We are offering Webinars to share online conversations & learning opportunities held on the 4th Tuesday of each month at 9am.
Our schedule for the next few months:
- May 22nd
- June 26th
- July 24th
- Aug 28th
The connection info will be posted via the listserv. Looking to Join?
JOIN US by going to https://groups.google.com/d/forum/va-community-garden-network
If you can’t join us LIVE, check out the Webinars tab above to connect to our archived recordings.
As a way to keep the Community Garden conversation going, we are offering a standing MONTHLY WEBINAR SERIES on the last Tuesday of the month at 9am.
To keep up with the most recent webinar post, please CLICK HERE TO JOIN OUR LISTSERV.
You can also find all of our upcoming webinars, as well as past archived webinars at the WEBINARS Tab above. Look under the title photo and you will see two links, Home and Webinars. You will find all the archived webinars under the Webinars tab.
Webinar #1: Intro to the Virginia Community Garden Network
Webinar #2: Details on the Mapping Project and Ways to Connect