Please save the date and spread the word about the upcoming 2014 Virginia Farm-to-Table Conference and In-Depth Soil Biology Training with Dr. Elaine Ingham scheduled for Tuesday, December 2 and Wednesday, December 3, 2014, at Blue Ridge Community College’s Plecker Workforce Center in Weyers Cave, Virginia, and Thursday, December 4, 2014 at Virginia State University’s Douglas Wilder Building in Petersburg, Virginia. The conference theme is ‘Nutrition, Health and Sustainability from the Ground Up’ and will be featuring an in-depth soil biology training for two days in two locations.
A fresh heirloom tomato.
The in-depth soil biology training will be led by Dr. Elaine Ingham of the Soil Food Web and coordinated by Chris Lawrence of USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service.
The conference will be of interest to producers, buyers, school and university officials, community and agricultural development officers, legislators, administrators, and other key food system stakeholders. The conference will encourage collaboration, conservation and community in strengthening community, local and regional food systems.
On Tuesday afternoon and evening, there will be a Buy Fresh Buy Local Producer/Buyer Meet-n-Greet as a networking time. The Meet-n-Greet will be from 4:30 to 6:00 p.m. and encourage business conversation and networking among Virginia producers and buyers, and will celebrate locally-grown Virginia foods.
Mr. David Kline will speak after the networking time on the topic of ‘Farming, Community, Nature, Place and Care for the Earth.’
Confirmed speakers include:
- Dr. Elaine Ingham – Soil Food Web and the The Rodale Institute
- Ms. Ann Karlen – Executive Director of Fair Food Farmstand
- Dr. Amy Tucker – Preventative Cardiologist, University of Virginia Health System
- David Kline – Author, naturalist and organic dairy farmer
- Dr. Elizabeth Dyck – Founder, Organic Grower’s Research and Information Sharing Network
- Mr. Jack Bricker – State Conservationist, USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service
- Dr. Brian Calhoun – Associate Director, Virginia Cooperative Extension
- Dr. Allen Straw – Area Specialist, Horticulture, Small Fruit, & Specialty Crops, Virginia Tech
- Mr. Clif Slade – Virginia State University’s 43,560 Project and VSU Small Farm Outreach Program
- Mr. Chris Lawrence – Cropland Agronomist, USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service
- Mr. Chris Mullins – Extension Specialist, Greenhouse and Specialty Crops, VSU
- Mr. Danny Boyer – Owner, Four Winds Farm
- Mr. Eric Walter – Owner, Black Bear Composting
- Ms. Andrea Early – School Nutrition Director, Harrisonburg City Public Schools
- Mr. Rick Felker – Owner, Mattawoman Creek Farms
- Ms. Amy Hicks – Owner, Amy’s Garden
- And others.
For more information about the 2014 Virginia Farm-to-Table Conference and Buy Fresh Buy Local Meet-n-Greet, you can contact Eric Bendfeldt or Lauren Arbogast of Virginia Cooperative Extension’s Northern District Office at 540.432.6029 Ext. 106/117 or Kathy Holm of USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service at 540.434.1404.
More conference and registration information is available at 2014 Virginia Farm to Table Conference.