Peanut In-furrow Fungicides/Nematicides

I’ve been getting questions about peanut in-furrow fungicides and nematicides lately. The primary question is what to use in-furrow since Proline availability is limited, but should be available for later plantings.

Let’s start with why in-furrow Proline was initially recommended for peanuts. In-furrow applications of Proline were found to reduce losses to CBR (Cylindrocladium black rot ) in the early 2000’s by Dr. Pat Phipps. While not as effective as the fumigant Vapam, growers used it because it was less expensive and much easier to apply than Vapam. This caused widespread use of Proline in-furrow in Virginia and North Carolina and became a standard practice to reduce losses to CBR. The early trials evaluating Proline in-furrow did not demonstrate activity on any other peanut disease in Virginia. Thus, Proline in-furrow was used specifically to reduce losses to CBR.

Fast forward to 2023. Due to past and continued breeding efforts towards CBR resistance in Virginia-type peanuts coupled with longer peanut rotations, CBR has become a disease of the past. We have not observed a single peanut sample in the Tidewater AREC Plant Diagnostic Lab where CBR was confirmed as causing disease on peanut since I started here back in 2014. I have not heard anyone mention problems with CBR in Virginia or North Carolina nor have I seen it in my peanut trials or grower fields. So why are some growers still using Proline in-furrow, especially since the disease it was meant to control is not a problem. Good question! I have not used Proline or any other in-furrow fungicide in my peanut trials for years with no issues.

So what’s the bottom line? To me, Proline in-furrow is an added expense that doesn’t provide measurable disease control in our area unless you’re growing Valencia peanuts or another type besides Virginia-type peanuts. Also, there is no replacement product currently labeled for peanut except Propulse which contains the active ingredients in Proline and Velum. I have had someone ask about using Provost Silver as an in-furrow replacement for Proline because it contains the active ingredient in Proline (prothioconazole), but Provost Silver is not labeled for use in-furrow and the tebuconazole component will cause delayed emergence and growth in seedling peanuts. What about Velum? Velum in-furrow is labeled for Aspergillus crown rot, early season leaf spot, early season southern stem rot (white mold), and nematodes. In Virginia, the utility of Velum in-furrow is primary against nematodes. In my opinion, the “must have” in-furrow products on peanuts across the board should be inoculants and thrips control insecticides. I don’t see dropping Proline in-furrow on peanuts causing any disease issues.

If you have questions about in-furrow fungicides in peanuts, please feel free to contact me by e-mail (dblangston@vt.edu) or by phone: office (757) 807-6536; cell (757) 870-8498. If you want to drop in, my address is 6321 Holland Rd., Suffolk, VA 23437.