Tomato Late Blight on Virginia’s Eastern Shore

After a two month hiatus due to warmer temperatures, late blight is back on tomatoes on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. Growers wishing for their tomato crops to survive until the first frost are urged to consider applications of late blight specific fungicides.

One thought on “Tomato Late Blight on Virginia’s Eastern Shore

1. Ridgway M. Dunton

10 years or so ago a form of anthracnose (sp?) appeared her on the ESofVa, and it has killed my garden tomatoes every year since (except for the cherry types, which appear to be resistant). Six Ls,, with its extensive plantings here on the Shore, has developed a tolerant variety for the type it grows, but they are nothing for home gardens (you could play three innings of baseball with them without doing them too much damage) but I know of no garden variety that will tolerate the disease. I’d be grateful for any suggestion you might have. I’m told the local experiment station is working with grafting, (onto cherry-type roots, I’m guessing) but I’ve tried that with no success, (I can graft apples, but can’t get it to work for tomatoes.)